Join the dynamic team at Genesis! We are looking for an experienced GC to bring their skills and expertise to our thriving firm. Genesis is a broker-dealer that has been trading esoteric assets since its inception in 2005. In 2013, we began trading digital currencies and have pioneered the Over-the-Counter market for this asset class.
We value people who are not afraid of hard work, bring a positive attitude, and are flexible to take on a variety of responsibilities. This position will manage the firm’s legal affairs and ensure that the legal services provided are cost-effective, practical, and consistent with the firm’s philosophies. The ideal candidate will be very hands-on, and able to act independently. A demonstrated history of sound business judgment is required as this person will work closely with business management. The General Counsel will be expected to both provide legal advice to management and also contribute to strategic business planning.
This position will also work closely with the Chief Compliance Officer to assist with the firm’s broker-dealer compliance function and ensure compliance with applicable FINRA, SEC, FinCEN and New York DFS rules and regulations. In addition, the individual will be responsible for a variety of complex legal matters, including providing management with day-to-day advice on a range of legal issues.
- Ensure that the business implements leading practices and operates at the highest ethical and corporate governance standards
- Work with business partners to understand risks and, as necessary, develop alternatives to achieve business goals while managing identified risks
- Work with firm leadership to guide the development and expansion of the firm’s business
- Identify and analyze legal issues, draft legal documents, present clear recommendations and ensure legal compliance
- Work with business team to develop and modify practices and procedures to conform to legal requirements
- Draft and negotiate complex legal agreements
- Review new business relationships with vendors and related contractual documentation
- Analyze legal issues relating to proposed business activities
- Provide supervision to outside lawyers
- Research laws and regulations implicated by business transactions and advise of potential risks
- Work closely with Chief Compliance Officer to oversee the firm’s compliance program
- Assist in response to inquiries from regulatory and governmental agencies
- Provide guidance on regulatory and compliance matters
- J.D. degree, and licensed to practice and in good standing in New York State
- A minimum of 8 years of professional legal experience, with demonstrated in-depth knowledge and applied understanding of the legal landscape around digital currency, required
- Significant contract drafting and negotiation experience required
- Experience managing outside counsel, including establishing and managing project budgets
- Strong work ethic, a “hands-on” mentality, and the ability to work in an extremely fast paced environment
- Both in-house and law firm experience preferred
- Strong working knowledge of securities laws and FINRA and SEC, rules and solid understanding of the markets a plus
- Experience as General Counsel or senior attorney at a broker-dealer a plus
- Experience as a Corporate Secretary a plus
- Current Series 7, 63 and 24 licenses a plus
- Experience with international digital currency and securities law is a plus
To apply please send your cover letter and resume to: [email protected].